Current:Home > News'Shameless': Reporters Without Borders rebukes X for claiming to support it -VisionFunds
'Shameless': Reporters Without Borders rebukes X for claiming to support it
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 16:13:34
A pair of tweets this week from X, the former Twitter, seemed meant to soften the perception that under Elon Musk's ownership, the platform is abdicating important responsibilities and degrading public discourse. The company used the messages to highlight rights organizations it says it backs.
"The X platform boldly champions the vital principles of free speech and community safety," the company's official @Safety account declared on Tuesday.
"In a world where these values are constantly challenged," it added, X is proud to support organizations such as Reporters Without Borders, which fights the repression of journalism. The tweet left some commenters with the impression that X actively supports the group, through financial or other means.
Then came the fact-check.
"Elon Musk's company is a haven for disinformation and in no way an ally to an organization defending journalism," Reporters Without Borders said in an email to NPR.
While the group had accepted advertising credits from Twitter before Musk took over, Reporters Without Borders said, it does not receive "any form of support from X whatsoever."
Press-freedom group says X recently offered ad credits
The tweet from X's Safety account came days after the platform offered 25,000 euros' worth of advertising credits to Paris-based Reporters Without Borders. A follow-up tweet from X CEO Linda Yaccarino celebrated "shining a spotlight on the remarkable organizations worldwide that are making a significant impact through their vital work."
There was just one problem: Reporters Without Borders, also known as Reporters Sans Frontières or RSF, says it turned the money down.
"What a shameless, audacious assertion!" RSF Secretary General Christophe Deloire said in a statement sent to NPR. "Linda Yaccarino and her team are deluding themselves."
The year 2020 was the last time the group accepted ad credits, it said. Musk bought Twitter in 2022.
If Yaccarino wants to support press freedom, Deloire said, she should consult his group's 10 recommendations for her when she took the job leading X. The list ranges from reinstating the former account-certification process to repairing relationships with the media and rebuilding X's ability to combat disinformation.
X is nearing the end of a bumpy year
The kerfuffle comes as X has been seen allowing propaganda to flow from accounts linked to governments in Russia, China and Iran. Earlier this year, researchers also found that since Musk took over, the company has sharply increased its compliance with takedown requests from governments and courts.
In the face of criticism, Musk insists he is devoted to free speech in its most public and transparent forms and that it's up to people to decide for themselves what to believe. In that vein, he has held online polls to decide that figures like the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and former President Donald Trump should be allowed back on the platform.
Musk has also thumbed his nose at the advertiser backlash that has seen big spenders like Walmart, Disney and Apple avoid X rather than be affiliated with the brand, after Musk amplified an antisemitic message.
As former advertising executive Lou Paskalis recently told NPR, "If your CEO is on a different sheet of music than the rest of the company, it really requires a lot of suspension of disbelief that those views aren't imbued in the company."
Other groups were in X's tweet
The original message from X's Safety account mentioned two other groups alongside RSF. One of them, Netsafe New Zealand, ceased posting on X in July.
The other organization, the Europe-based International Network Against Cyber Hate, recently issued a paper on online antisemitism in the first month of the Israel-Hamas war, saying it found more antisemitic content on X than the other top three social platforms (Facebook , Instagram, and TikTok) combined.
Netsafe and the INACH did not reply to requests for comments before this story published.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Western countries want a UN team created to monitor rights violations and abuses in Sudan
- Giuliani to lose 2nd attorney in Georgia, leaving him without local legal team
- Inter Miami vs. Chicago Fire FC live updates: Is Lionel Messi playing tonight?
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- American ‘Armless Archer’ changing minds about disability and targets golden ending at Paris Games
- 2 dead in plane crash into roof of home outside of Portland, Oregon
- Man steals car with toddler in back seat, robs bank, hits tree and dies from injuries, police say
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- UK prime minister wants to raise the legal age to buy cigarettes in England so eventually no one can
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- NFL shakes off criticism after Travis Kelce says league is 'overdoing' Taylor Swift coverage
- Steve Scalise and Jim Jordan running for House speaker as GOP race to replace McCarthy kicks off
- Maren Morris Reveals the Real Reason She Left Country Music
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Trains collide in northern Polish city, injuring 3 people, local media reports
- Seahawks' Jamal Adams apologizes for outburst at doctor following concussion check
- Fukushima nuclear plant starts 2nd release of treated radioactive wastewater into the sea
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Parents of US swimming champ suggest foul play in her death
'Her heart was tired': Woman who ran through Maui wildfire to reach safety succumbs to injuries
Judge tosses challenge to Louisiana’s age verification law aimed at porn websites
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Missouri high school teacher put on leave after district officials discover her OnlyFans account
Seattle to pay $1.86 million after man dies of a heart attack at address wrongly put on 911 blacklist
France is bitten by a fear of bedbugs as it prepares to host Summer Olympics